* 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
* 1 egg
* 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon no-color almond extract
* 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
Makes: About 3 dozen cookies.
Preheat oven to 400°F. In mixing bowl, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Mix flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Do not chill dough. Divide dough into 2 balls. On a floured surface, roll each ball into a circle approximately 12 in. wide and 1/8 in. thick. Dip cookie cutter in flour before each use. Bake cookies on ungreased cookie sheet 6-7 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.
Recipe may be doubled.
Egg White Royal Icing
* 3 egg whites (room temperature)
* 4 cups (approximately 1 lb.) confectioners' sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Makes: 2 1/2 cups.
Beat all ingredients at high speed for 7 to 10 minutes. Use immediately. Rebeating will not restore texture.
P.S: We had a big earthquake today! Not only the southern coast of Java but also Jakarta got hit by a magnitude 7.3 earthquake around 3 PM. I was in the office - on the 17th floor, when it happened.... It's so scary!!! During and after the earthquake, people were running out of the building and most of us got so dizzy.
The pics below were taken in front of the building's lobby.