Monday, November 1, 2010

Nan Xiang at The Sultan Hotel, Jakarta

I attended my second cousin's wedding at one of the Nan Xiang restaurants, located in The Sultan Hotel (former known as Jakarta Hilton Intercontinental Hotel).

8 dishes were served during the wedding's dinner including the appetizer and dessert. Too bad that the specialty dish of Nan Xiang which is the famous dumplings (xiao long bao) wasn't on the menu.


Combination of Cold Dishes
(Beef slices, mushrooms and tofu)
Nothing to shout about this dish.

Thick Corn Soup with Minced Chicken
Although it mentioned as a thick soup but it's actually quite watery to my opinion.

Roast Chicken Hongkong Style
I find the chicken is a bit too dry to swallow


Fried Fillet Fish with Sweet & Sour Sauce
The fillet fish is sliced very thin.
Most of the guests and me think that the sauce is too sweet.
Sauteed Beef with Black Pepper Sauce
The black pepper sauce is tasteless.
There's no a kick of pepper in the sauce.

Braised Vegetable Pocai with Garlic
Sorry, I didn't get a close up picture of this dish.
But anyway, among all the dishes, I think this is the only dish that tasted good.
The pocai is fresh and crunchy.

Fried Rice Shanghainese
The rice is too dry and hard; totally lack of flavor.
The chopped carrots are still raw.

Combination of Two Snack
Balls with sesame seeds and little sweet steamed buns,
tasted mediocre.
Despite of feeling happy for the new wedding's couple, a lot of the guests went home feeling unsatisfied with the food.

Location:
Nan Xiang Restaurant
QI Lounge - The Sultan Hotel
Lagoon Tower
Jl. Gatot Subroto
Jakarta 10002

Disclaimer:The review and opinion expressed here are purely according to my personal taste. There's a possibility that the taste of the food might change later on, which could affect the review and opinion here. I also affirm that no monetary or non-monetary compensation has been received from this restaurant for writing this review.

12 comments:

  1. i think they need to revamp their menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How disappointing that the food wasn't up to everyone's expectations. The presentation was lovely though. Congratulations to the happy couple.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're there again...:)! I think I have tried Nan Xiang once, but I am not very sure. The foods look good though, even though I would be disappointed as well if I went to Nan Xiang and got no dumplings ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. foodbin: Well, I think it's not the menu but it's more likely the chef.

    my carolina kitchen: I also think that the presentation was lovely, but not the taste.

    cooking gallery: I haven't blog so often lately because there's a problem with my camera. Yeah, too bad no dumplings :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry that the food wasn't as good as you expected. Some of it looks great though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. faith: Yes, too bad that the taste wasn't that great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's too bad! The food *looks* good. I've never tried Chinese-style roasted chicken/duck before. I might have to go find some...

    ReplyDelete
  8. mica: I really hope that you will try roasted duck someday, especially the Beijing duck, it's so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too bad those sweet steamed buns were mediocre, because they are beautifuL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks fabulous darling! i feel sooooo bad .. my time management is down the drain - so much work plus current posts we haven't had time to finish out part 5,6,7,8 of Java!! arrrrgh... need to soon LOL. hope u r well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. monica: Looks can deceive!!! :D

    dhila: thanks for dropping by and following!

    cumi & ciki: It's been more than 1 year already!!! LOL You sure you still want to blog about it? ;P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs